Poems or poetry can be called as a form of written work which combines the nature of beauty and taste as well as philosophy of art .Poems are called as a composition written by a poet. Poems or poetry has are from the earlier days itself. It is said that poems are written during BC time itself. In kerala Malayalam Poems or Malayalam Kavithakal also are having high importance . So many veterans are their in Kerala.
History – Malayalam Kavithakal | Malayalam Poems
First poets are called Kannassan Poets and also called Niranam Poets. Dispute is still going in this case. It is said that Kannassan poets are Madhava Panikkar, Sankara Panikkar and Rama Panikkar.It is believed that they are coming from a small village called Niranam , which is located in Thiruvalla. They were living during the time period AD 1350 – AD1450.Kannappa panicker is the father of Madhava Panikkar, Sankara Panikkar . So that the name came Kannassan Poets.The dispute happening is that these people are connected to each other and they belong to different regions. Madhava Panikkar who composed Bhasha Bhagavad Gita. Sankara Panikkar composed Bharatha Mala, Rama Panikkar composed Ramayanam, Bhagavatham, Bharatham, Sivarathri Mahatmyam.
Here we will discuss about some of the Major Veterans in Malayalam Kavitha.
Famous Malayalam Poets
- Cherusseri Namboothiri – He is a Malayalam Poet belonged to Kolathunadu, Kannur. He is the author of Krishnagatha, considered as the turning point in the development of Malayalam Literature.He is believed to be lived during 1375- 1475. It is said that he was a court poet in the palace of King Udaya Varma. Krishnagatha is the first Maha Kavyam in Malayalam. In this Kavya it is listed the Boyhood Pranks of Lord Krishna.He is awarded Veerasrinkhala from the king Udaya Varma.During Chingam Month Malayalee Hindus recites Krishnagatha.
2. Kunjan Nambiar – He is the inventor of the local art form Ottamthullal. He was born in Kothachira village in palakkad. Kunchan Nambiar is considered by many as the master of Malayalam satirist poetry.His Major Thullal’s were Syamanthakam, Ghoshayathra, Kiratham, Santhanagopalam, Patracharitham, Karthaveeryarjunavijayam, Bakavadham, Kalyana Saugandhikam, Hariniswayamvaram, Thripuradahanam and Sabha Pravesham.It is believed that he had done his first performance at “Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple.”
3. Thunchath Ramanujan Ezhuthachan – He is a devotional poet and a translator. He was born at Thunchathu home at Tirur. He is called as Father of Malayalam Literature.He had learned sanskrit and other Dravidian languages.His great works are translation of Adhyatma Ramayanam and Sri Mahabharatam.
They are some of the earlier stage Veterans in Malayalam Poems and Kavithakal.
4. Ulloor S. Parameshwara Iyer – He is a historian and a poet in malayalam literature. He was born in 1877 at changanaserry. He graduated with Honors in Philosophy from Maharajas College. He died on the year 1949. His famous poetry are Aruṇodayaṃ,Sharanopaharam,Manimanjusha,Tharaharam,Chithrashala,Tharangini and many more.
5. Vallathol Narayana Menon – He is a poet from kerala and one of the triumvirate poets of modern Malayalam.He was a nationalist poet and wrote a series of poems on various aspects of the Indian freedom movement.He was born in Chennara, Tirur. His first major literary ventures was a rendition of Valmiki’s Ramayana into Malayalam.His other creatives are Gangapati , Bandhanasthanaya Anirudhan,Magdalana Mariam,Sishyanum Makanum, Virasinkala, Achanum Makalum, Divaswapnam, and Ente Gurukulam.He was awarded Padma Bhushan in the year 1954. He had played a major role in setting up the Kerala Kalamandalam at Cheruthuruthy.
6. Kumaranashan– He was an Indian social reformer, philosopher and poet of Malayalam literature.He is one of the modern triumvirate poets of Kerala. He was born on 1873 in chirayinkeezhu Taluk. He died by drowning in 1924. His famous literatures were Veena Poovu, Nalini, Leela,Prarodanam,Chinthavishtayaaya Sita,Duravastha,Karuna ,Chandaalabhikshuki.
These three people are called triumvirate poets of modern Malayalam . They are the veterans who played a major role in Malayalam Kavithakal and Malayalam Poems.
7. O.N.V Kurup – He is a malayalam Poet and Lyricist from kerala. He won Jnanpith Award in the year 2007 and Padma Shri in 1998 and Padma Vibhushan in 2011. He was born at kollam. His major works are Daahikunna Paanapaathram,Marubhumi,Neelakkannukal,Mayilpeeli,Oru Thulli Velicham,Agni Shalabhangal,Aksharam,Karutha Pakshiyude Paattu,Bhumikku Oru Charama Geetham etc . He also won awards as lyricist for many malayalam movies also.
8. G Sankara Kurup – He is mainly known as Mahakavi G. He is a poet and literary critic in malayalam. He won so many awards like Jnanpith Award, Padma Bhushan,Sahitya Akademi Award, Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award etc .He was born at Nayathode, Ernakulam District.His major works are Ithalukal,Odakkuzhal,Jeevana Sangeetham,Maduram, Saumyam, Deeptham,Moonnaruviyum Oru Puzhayum etc
9. Sugathakumari – She was an indian poet and activist. She was the founder secretary of Prakrithi Samrakshana Samithi. Her major works are Muthuchippikal, Pathirapookkal, Krishna Kavithakal, Ratrimazha, and Manalezhuthu. She had won so many awards like kendra sahithya academy award,kerala sahithya academy award etc . She was awarded padmashri in the year 2006.
10. Changampuzha Krishna Pillai – He was famous for his work Ramanan. He was born at edapally in the year 1911. His famous works are Vaazhakkula ,Divyageetham,Devageetha,Bashpaanjali , Rekthapushpangal etc.
11. Vyloppili Sreedhara Menon – He was an Indian poet of Malayalam literature.He won several awards Sahitya Akademi Award, Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for Poetry, Vayalar Award and Odakkuzhal Award.He was born in 1911 at kaloor. His famous works are Kudiyozhikkal , Aprakasitha Rachanakal,Anthi Chayunnu,Makarakoythu,Kaipavallari etc .
12. Kamala Surraya – She in an indian poet in english and also an author in malayalam. She wrote on diverse topics including women’s issues, child care, politics among others etc. Some of her poetry are The Sirens,Summer in Calcutta,The Descendants,The Stranger Time etc.
I hope reading this article you all got an idea about Malayalam Kavithakal writers or Malayalam Poem Writers.
Here we are listing down the Malayalam Kavithakal and Malayalam Poems of famous persons